Church History

First Baptist Church, Terry, Mississippi was constituted on September 18, 1852, and was first called Friendship Baptist Church. The first church was located in New Town, a community now known as Wynndale, 3.5 miles northwest of Terry. Rev. Jesse Woodall served as the first pastor of the church. The first Sunday School was organized in 1860, and the church letter to the Central Baptist Association in 1866 indicated there were 31 white members and 21 black members. In 1868, the church moved from New Town to the current location of the town of Terry, and a house of worship was completed in 1869. The name of the church was changed to Terry Baptist Church in 1878, and in 1899 a new, large white frame building was built that served the church for many years. That building was replaced in 1955 with a new brick sanctuary. The Children’s Building was then built in 1963, and the Family Life Center was constructed in 1978. The church’s name was changed to First Baptist Church, Terry, Mississippi in 1974, and a renovation and enlargement of the sanctuary and office suite was completed in 1988. First Baptist Church currently has 1,147 members, averages 180 in Sunday School and 200 in worship, and provides a full complement of Christian ministries and activities to Terry community and our church family.